Saturday, July 31, 2010

It's hot. And I mean HOT. I worry about those who have to work out in this heat. And I worry about the animals that live out in this. Whether they are pets or just the animals we see every day.

Currently, a mama dove is sitting in her nest in my small redbud tree in the backyard. This is her 3rd time since June to be sitting in her nest. I know it's the same dove. We look each other in the face on a regular basis. She is used to my being out there watering, cleaning the pool and clipping the grass by hand....I don't want to scare her or her babies with the lawn mower, so I cut it by hand. Her first 'nest sitting' resulted in 1 baby. I worried about that baby when the deluge in June hit. 12" of rain in 4 hours. As soon as it was light enough to see, I went to the backyard to check on my new feathered friend. There it was. Sitting tightly in the tiniest nest you could imagine, being poured on. And with a "What is going on???" look on it's face! I was bailing water out of the pool as fast as possible, and cheering out loud for the birds' survival of the storm. Yeah, if anyone else had been out in their yard, they would have heard me. And they would have known I am crazy.

Soon, the baby dove left. So did mama. Then a couple of weeks later, there she was again! And she sat, and sat, and sat. With such patience. I never looked out there that I didn't see her being so diligent in bringing new babies into the world. Then one day, I saw pushing and shoving going on in this nest, and mama dove shifted over a bit. And there it was! The baby. This nest is seriously the smallest, and flattest thing I have ever seen! The next couple of days I was watching and looking, and BEHOLD 2 babies were in the nest. Mom wasn't around. She was out hunting for food for her babies. Besides, all 3 of them wouldn't fit in that thing!

Then, the 2 babies were gone. Flown the coop as they say. But just yesterday, there was mama dove again. Sitting tightly and very vigilantly in that nest. And today, I got to wondering. And marveling at her commitment. At her willingness to sit and do what it is she is supposed to do. (And yes, she watched me as I cleaned out the pool, and never took her eye off of me as I floated lazily in the afternoon heat). It makes me sad that God's other creation, man, can't be as diligent with life as those animals He created first. It's so hot outside, yet there this beautiful dove sits, waiting to do what she was born to do. Be a bird. Make new birds. Protect those eggs and that nest with everything that is in her. I don't hear her complain about being bored (mind you, I don't speak dove). I don't hear her complain about being uncomfortable and wanting a different nest. Oh yes, I know, humans are different. We have souls, we have choice. But man, I'm learning a lot from watching this mama. And wishing that ALL mamas were as protective and as committed to new life as this feathered beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment